Monday, January 30, 2012

Thanking God For a Very Full Day


    Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!  Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!  For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all Gods.  Psalm 95:1-3

Actually it was a very full weekend, but I'll focus on today. 

The first thing I did this morning was "accidentally" turn off the alarm clock when it went off.  I decided I didn't really need to get up quite yet and so I thought I reset it for 15 minutes later.  What I really did was make it so that it would not go off again until Monday morning.  So I woke up an HOUR later!  I realized when I opened my eyes it was daylight and I immediately knew this was not a good sign.  Amazingly, we made it to church on time.  That's gratitude #403.  I can't stand being late.

402.  From church we went to Indy to meet friends to celebrate Chinese New Year.  We had dim sum and visited with one of Kate's friends from China and her mom.  Good food, good company!  Don't ask about the wheat!



403.  Saturday, some other friends had called to see if Callie and Kate could come and play on Sunday, so on the way home we dropped the girls off to play.  Good for them, good for us. :)

We spent about an hour at home relaxing and then we headed back to church for the "Annual Meeting" and song service afterward.  We attend a church that sings only hymns and Psalms.  It has taken me a while to get used to this and to appreciate it, but I'm about there. (#404)  It was all well and good until we sang "Holy, Holy, Holy".  I've always appreciated the words to this hymn, but in December 2006 this hymn took on a new significance for me. 

In China, we went to a church close to our hotel.  We thought we were arriving in time for the English service, but it was actually the regular Chinese service.  I didn't really expect to get a whole lot out of the service, we just wanted to check it out and thought it would be a neat thing to do.  What happened next was one of my favorite moments in China.  This church started singing "Holy, Holy, Holy" in Chinese!  I couldn't believe they were singing something we knew.  They actually sang a few that we knew, but I can't remember what the others were.  I sat there and listened to this hymn being sung in another language and thought about how it will be in heaven when people of every tongue and nation will sing praises and I cried like a baby.  It was so moving!  I'll never forget it. 


405. So I was very happy tonight to sing (when I got the lump out of my throat) this beautiful song.

406.  After church we left to pick up the girls and have a late dinner with our friends.  Good food and good company again!  It was a great way to end a great day.

407.  Friday morning did not start out very well and was a frustrating time for both Callie and I.  While picking up something at a friends house, she offered to let the girls stay and play while I ran another errand.  It was a gift straight from the Lord!  Callie and Kate had been missing these friends and I was able to run my errand quickly and with the blessing of a little peace and quiet.  Thanks Amy!

408.  Friday evening included more blessings with more friends. 

I hope our friends know how much we love and appreciate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment