Thursday, August 16, 2012

Needle & thREAD

I've gotten a little sewing done in the last couple of weeks.  The problem is I don't think I took any pictures before the girls wore their skirts and now they are in the laundry.  The skirts, not the girls. :)

For Kate, I splurged a little and bought an Oliver+S pattern when www.sewmamasew.com was having a sale.  The Sailboat Top, Pants and Skirt.  I love the Oliver+S patterns they are so, so cute!  This is a PDF pattern and even though the process of cutting it out and putting it together seemed a little tedious, I guess it's really no different than cutting out a store bought pattern.  This pattern is quite different from anything I have made before, but not difficult, and I have really enjoyed it.  I'm not quite finished with the shirt yet.

The fabric is from the A Walk in the Woods collection from Pinky fabrics at Etsy.  Great service!  I saw this fabric a long, long time ago and couldn't wait to make something out of it.  I was pleasantly surprised that Callie didn't think she was too old for it.

I'm reading Cleaning House:  A Mom's 12 Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement.  Do you sense a theme here?  This has been an informative and enjoyable read.  The author is pretty funny so she makes what could be just a rant on children in an age of excess into an enlightening piece to truly help our children, and ourselves, not be spoiled and coddled.  I'm on chapter 5 and so far it's all about working, or rather teaching your kids to work.  It's not about turning our kids into our own personal servants, but about teaching them to enjoy work and see the benefits of it.  Not just the pay they may earn but the satisfaction of a job well done.

I'll admit that I was terrible with Callie when she was little and often said, "It's okay, Mommy will do it" because I wanted it done a certain way.  I know, I know.  Thankfully, I'm not doing that with Kate.  She is usually very eager to help and Callie has improved greatly.  Poor firstborns!

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Visit Elizabeth for more.
needle and thREAD

No comments:

Post a Comment