Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September Daybook

{Outside My Window} It's perfectly beautiful!  Sun shining, 66 degrees.  I could live like this all year long.  With a big snow at Christmas of course!

{Listening To} Little House on the Prairie.  Callie knows she can always talk me into a TV lunch if she asks to watch that.

{I am Thankful For} Those girls!  They can fight like no body's business, but then there are those moments when they are so sweet.

For a weekend with Cameron's parents.  Times with them are usually planned quite a bit in advance because of the distance, but this was pretty spontaneous.  The weather was great (maybe a little cold for Granny) and we had a nice, if quick, visit.

For family who are safe and sound and mostly well.  Of course there are aches and pains and there are no guarantees of what the future may hold, but I'm thankful for the blessings of today.

{In the School Room}  Callie is working hard and being very independent.  I am proud of her diligence and it has happened in the perfect time as I need to be working more with Kate.

Kate had a quite a time adjusting to the loss of her summer, care free schedule!  She's coming around though and even though she will tell you she hates school (Callie never said that until about the 5th grade and even then, just for math), I know there are parts she really likes, she just won't admit it.

We will be reading some of Grimm's and Andersen's fairy tales this year.  We just finished The Little Mermaid.  My how different that was from the Disney version!  Not that I blame Disney.  I don't think I would have taken my young children to see an accurate film version!

{In The Kitchen}  I was going to do a post about a corn bread recipe that I made and decided maybe I shouldn't .  Those pesky copyright laws!  Let me just say, whether you are gluten free or not, you need to check out the Jalapeno and Cheddar Cornbread recipe in The Gluten Free Table by Jilly Lagasse.  I've never had cornbread so yummy before and I don't think I'll ever go back!  I did substitute cream and frozen corn for the canned creamed corn called for and I only used one jalapeno.  It's what I had on hand and it was delish!!  The first time I served it with collard greens so Cameron was singing my praises all night!

{I Am Reading}  I just finished The Perfectly Imperfect Home and enjoyed it.  I am still reading How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare.

I love the Shakespeare book!!  Now don't think that I am some intellectual that can read a book or play in Old English and know what in the world they are talking about!  That is exactly why this book is so great.  The author really loves Shakespeare and he takes several of the comedies and breaks them down and explains what is going on in key scenes and says the best way for children (and adults) to enjoy and learn Shakespeare is to memorize some of those key passages and he includes ways to make it fun for everyone.  I haven't started using it with the girls yet, and I will probably only do Callie at first, but who knows.  It has to go back to the library this week, but it is definitely going onto my wish list at Amazon!  I only wish I would have found this last year since we were studying the same time period of history last year.

{Around the House}  I'm just finishing up the curtains for the bathroom and a couple of things for the wall.  Hopefully that will all be finished by the end of the week!

{One of My Favorite Things}  I've always loved watching the girls dance, but now that Callie is helping in Kate's class?  Oh my!  I just love seeing them on the floor together.  I can't wait until May's recital!!

{A Few Plans for the Week}  Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I know.  Ballet, school, cooking, cleaning, sewing.....



1 comment:

  1. Fun picture! I can't wait to see the final Bathroom Reveal!

    ReplyDelete