Tuesday, September 22, 2015

{In the Kitchen}

Zucchini!!

We were given a giant zucchini last week.  I should have taken a picture, but you've seen them.  Zucchini as big as a toddler's toy baseball bat.

In an attempt to feed this family during this extra busy season, I have come up with a supper plan that I think will be helpful. 

Monday, quick and double, or at least make extra.  Tuesday, the girls and I pack a picnic.  Wednesday is crock-pot night.  Thursday is leftover night.  Friday's not a big deal, I can go gourmet or we can eat frozen pizza. 

My plan for Saturdays is to do some bulk cooking.  Not a whole months or even weeks worth, but something that will help during the next week.  Like maybe a double batch of muffins or a big pot of soup that we can freeze half of.  Which brings me to the zucchini.

I made two loaves of gluten free zucchini bread, one 9x12 gf chocolate cake with zucchini, one Swiss-Onion-Zucchini Bake and a zucchini bacon quiche.  I still have half of the zucchini left!!

 Disregard the bits of flour not mixed in the cake.  Never mix a cake in the pan no matter what the     recipe says!




The Swiss-Onion-Zucchini Bake is from one of my favorite cookbooks.  We got it as a wedding present and I'm not even sure from who.  It is A Grand Heritage:  A Culinary Legacy of Columbus, Mississippi. It's a collection of recipes contributed by women in the area and I'm sorry to say you will not find this on Amazon.  You'll have to marry someone from Columbus. :)  I have never made anything out of this book that was not delicious.  Sometimes I forget about, but I'm always glad when I pull it out again.

I'm assuming I can share this recipe.....

1 large Spanish onion
3 c. thinly sliced zucchini
1/4 c. butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 c. milk
1 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 .t dry mustard
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese

Sauté onion and zucchini in butter until tender; place in shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.  Combine eggs, milk, seasonings and half of cheese; pour over vegetables.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until firm.  Serves 6.

I did not have dry mustard and I had Gruyere cheese which I think is a bit milder than Swiss.  And it did not serve 6! :)  I will double it next time I think

The quiche was my favorite.  Bacon!  I only used four pieces crumbled up with cheese and mixed with a little cream and I think 5 eggs.  I sautéed the zucchini first and used over a cup of it shredded.  You could hardly tell it was in there.

We ate the casserole for supper, some of  the bread for snacks (one loaf is still in the freezer), and we had the cake for dessert on Sunday, and yesterday and the quiche for breakfast on Sunday.  Someone may have had cake for breakfast. 

The other part of my plan is that Cameron cooks Saturday night.  I'll let you know how that goes. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment