Monday, August 21, 2017

Summer 2017

It always feels so awkward trying to write after such a long break.  I really don't want to give up completely on this blog though, so here goes.

This summer has been full of all kinds of goodness!

There was cousin time.....


along with honorary cousins......



princess camp......



in which Kate got to be a helper this year!




Callie got to take a trip to Florida with a friend!  I was just a teeeny bit jealous!




There was a trip to the Indianapolis Zoo with our field trip buddies, one of whom is now employed by the zoo and so we got free admission and all the rides were free!  It was so much fun being able to say "yes" to everything!

I just love this picture!  All kinds of happy!!




There was all kind of picture taking.  Some serious.....


some not so serious!!



And there was one epic hair cut!!  All this in the month of June.





I mostly shuttled Callie back and forth to her first job at a local ice cream shop.  She has been a hard worker and getting lots of hours.  I also did some sewing, mostly pillow covers, curtains that should have been hemmed YEARS ago and some quick little crafts.  I also did a little bit of gardening and weeding of flowerbeds.  Mostly just weeding though.

I read A LOT!  I started with All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.  Oh my!  I absolutely loved it.  It is such a different type of WWII story than I had read before and the writing was just beautiful.  Definitely a favorite and one I will reread, which I don't do often.  I pre-read a couple of books to for the girls (Kate actually).  A Long Walk To Water by Linda Sue Park and Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  Both were excellent.  I love books that make us think about how fortunate we are and how others in this world have to work much harder for things that we take for granted.  Like water.  A Long Walk to Water is the true story of a lost boy of Sudan and what he was able to accomplish as an adult to help the villages of Sudan after being adopted by an American family.  One of the things I love about Callie is that she still likes to hang out and listen and so both girls enjoyed these stories.  Kate really loved Wonder and we can't wait until the movie comes out in November.  Hopefully, they will stay true to the book!

I also read Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Patton and I'm almost finished with Mere Christianity.  These two books really deserve a post of their own.  And they just might get it.  For now, suffice it to say that everyone should read these books.  Yes, everyone!!

Honorable mention books that I read are The Promise of Jesse Woods by Chris Fabry, Peace Like a River by Leif Enger and Surf Shack: Laid Back Living by the Water, a decorating/lifestyle book.  I enjoyed them all but Peace Like a River did not quite end the way I thought it should.  It was still a very good book, though.  

Reading for fun is the best way (although I wouldn't turn down a trip to Hawaii) to just chill after finishing up our school year.  I read all through the year, but when we aren't doing school I can read a lot more and with out feeling like I "should be" reading anything in particular.  Some of these were read in July and August.  I don't read that fast!

Stay tuned for the rest of the summer's highlights and our back to school post!

{Thank you to Callie for taking the majority of these pictures and letting me use them!}



No comments:

Post a Comment