Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Out in the Garden

The whole family has been working hard to get the garden ready.  I wish I had taken a before picture.  The weeds in the country are sooo much bigger and thicker than in the suburbs.  I think they mutate or something due to the chemicals the big farmers put on the fields.  This fall I'm planning on taking some kind of measures to cover up our beds and see if that will help next spring.

Anyway, the beds were a royal mess.  We dug, we pulled, we chopped and we got them looking all nice and pretty.  We got some lovely fertilizer from our horse owning friends and Callie has been earning some extra money with a shovel. :)  My rule is, if I don't want to do it, I'll pay Callie and she can say no if she wants to.  She usually says yes.  It works for us!

The girls got their own little plot and of course it needed some signs.  Someone was a little territorial about "her garden" so the sign says "Callie and Kate's Garden" with arrows pointing to the appropriate owners side.  Callie made some plant markers and Kate painted some rocks.

So far we have planted beets, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, sunflowers and zinnias, dill, cilantro, basil, corn and three tomato plants.  We have a few more things we would like to plant and I'd like to get some little tomato plants.  We love the little yellow pear tomatoes.

I had some nice little pictures to go with this post but our technology is not cooperating!  I'll try to add them later.




2 comments:

  1. You'll have to let me know how your carrots turn out. We tried to plant them once and they turned out very short and fat. We've since learned that if you heap up mounds of soil and plant the seed in that, the carrots will grow normally. They tasted great - just looked funny! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had pretty good turnout in the past. Dig pretty deep and I think we bought a variety that doesn't grow really long anyway. We'll see what happens this year! I've not done the mounds for carrots, but that's what the cucumber seed packet says too.

      Delete