Monday, June 23, 2014

End of June Daybook

{Outside My Window}  It's pretty toasty outside.  This time of year the cornfields are actually "pretty".  Very green and swaying gently in the breeze.

{I'm Listening To}  The sound of air conditioning...one of God's good gifts!  And the sound of two 8 year old girls playing in the bathtub.  Swim suits on and about 10 rubber ducks.  I'm wondering how many towels it will take to clean up the floor. ;)



{I'm Thankful For}  So, so many things.  See above.  A husband who loves, daughters who were prayed for, extended family who we love and who enjoy each other, a home to live in, friends who are encouraging and our children's friends.  On and on it goes, and yet, I'm still totally stressed out and worried about other things and even some of those things that I'm thankful for.  That shouldn't be!!  I just want to be thankful.  Period.  If anyone can tell me the way to actually DO that, please share. 

On another note...these podcasts are awesome!!!  I try not to use that word all the time and for every little thing.  These are so good!  Whether you home school or not these are worth every minute and they are free.  So far, I think the ones with Jim Weiss are my favorite, but the one with Andrew Pudewa is great too.  If you have a struggling reader, or you think reading aloud stops when your child can read, it is a must.  They are all great and have been a highlight for me this summer while washing endless amounts of dishes.

{I'm Thinking About}  High school.  Not the 80's.  Callie's high school.  As hard as I've tried to put it out of my mind and pretend like it wasn't coming....it's here anyway.  I am so not ready!  I'm not ready emotionally and I sure don't feel ready academically. 

When teaching her during the elementary years, I will admit, I thought it was great and I was just a bit cocky about how great it was.  Not how smart she was or anything like that, but just about how wonderful the whole homeschooling thing was in general.  I just couldn't imagine why everyone wouldn't want to do this. 

Now, I'm shaking in my boots.  I still love this lifestyle and I really don't want to trade it for the alternative, but I'm feeling so incredibly unqualified and quite honestly a bit worn and panicking.  "Will this be enough?  What about_______?  We never really did_______.  How am I going to do__________?"  These are the thoughts almost constantly running through my head right now.

I'm pretty positive this is exactly where God wants me.  Not still thinking "we are doing so great" but admitting that I can't do this without Him and his wisdom and guidance and strength.

{In the Sewing Room}  Last weekend at a consignment store I saw this cute little purse that goes across the chest and one shoulder.  I instantly wanted that purse for an upcoming trip. Even though it was a good deal {it was Vera Bradley} I knew I had no business purchasing it right now.  I obsessed over if for a couple of days and whined to myself about it.  Finally I decided I could try and make one similar.  I have tons of small fabric pieces and I knew exactly which ones I would use. 

It's not perfect, but it will be just fine.  Considering I had no pattern or directions I think it turned out pretty well and I doubt anyone will be inspecting it that closely.

 


{I was so excited about choosing red white and blue fabric for the 4th of July until I realized it's all a British motif! LOL  I'm sure my dad will give me an earful for that!!}

{In the Kitchen}  Duck eggs!  Last week we visited the home of some new friends.  We had a great time!  My new friend and I have a lot in common.  We love fabric and brownies!!  (come to think of it, I have a couple of friends like that)  They have a couple of chickens and the cutest ducks!  I came home ready to dig a pond behind the barn. 







Duck eggs are pretty much the same in flavor, just a bit different in texture.  The best way I can explain it is that it's almost like there is cheese in your scrambled eggs, except there's not.  They're good.  Just in case the girls were going to give me grief, I just mixed them up with the chicken eggs and then you can hardly tell at all.  Cameron wanted to try them as soon as we got home.  Two eggs took up the whole pan and he could hardly finish them.

{I Am Reading}  I have three non-fiction books going (which I never do) that are really good, but I'm having trouble making myself read them and finish! 

But...in honor of our upcoming trip to Tennessee, I started looking for my next Southern Literature book.  It was really hard because I have loved the last few so much (The Help, To Kill a Mockingbird and Cold Sassy Tree) that I'm just convinced that whatever I read next is not going to be near as good!  I'm sure that sounds ridiculous.

I ordered two from the library.  I'll let you know if they are worth blogging about.

And I can't wait to read and listen to this!!  I'm hoping for my own private teachers retreat next month. 

{Around the House}  There are a few areas that need a really deep cleaning.  I have no idea when that will happen.

{One of My Favorite Things}


These girls, especially the third one from the left. :) Callie went to her first concert a couple of weeks ago.  A group from church went to see Lindsey Stirling.  Cameron went along and they both said it was fabulous!

{A Few Plans For the Rest of the Week}  It's quite a week!  Callie has ballet camp every day, she's babysitting one afternoon for a baby, then the next night for 3 boys.  We have packing to do for our trip, and then the regular things.  All good things!

No comments:

Post a Comment