Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Valentine Biscuits and President's Day Syllabub




I have finally found a way to make vegan, gluten free biscuits!!  These were so good and no one would ever know!  It was so exciting!  I've had this recipe for a while called Southern Biscuit Muffins.  I have no idea where it came from.  I had forgotten all about it and that I had made it gluten free a long time ago.   As my family will tell you, if Kate can't have it, I don't want to mess with it anymore because I just cannot motivate myself to make what feels like two meals!  I'm trying to get better about that and look for more options.  I miss some of those yummy things we used to eat and I know they do too.  So if we are all four going to have biscuits, they must be free of eggs, dairy and wheat and little to no sugar.  I've used coconut oil before and GF flour plenty of times, but apparently not really in the right combination because these were the best GF biscuits we have ever made.

The interesting thing is, I realized after the girls and I had wolfed them down and I was cleaning up that I had actually forgotten part of the flour.  Hopefully I remember correctly what I did do and I can make them the same way next time because they were yummmmmyy!

The other difference that may have helped, but I'm not sure is that instead of coconut oil I used a "vegan butter product".  Never in my life did I think I would ever buy such a thing.  Butter rules!!  But, you do what you gotta do sometimes.

So here is what I {think} I did....

1 c. brown rice flour
1/2 c. potato starch
1/2 t. xanthum gum
1/4 c. Truvia (Kroger's version)
1 1/2 T. baking powder
3/4 c. vegan margarine (I didn't even know how to spell margarine!!)
1 c. cold almond milk (unsweetened, plain)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large bowl combine flour, sugar (or sugar replacement) and baking powder.  With fork or pastry blender cut in "butter" until mixture is crumbly.  Add milk and stir until just combined.

The original recipe directions say to spoon dough into muffin pas and bake, but I used a large scoop and just scooped them onto a baking sheet and baked for 20 min.  They were divine!  "Buttery", light, fluffy, and delicious.


Glitter For Days!!



Now what in the world is syllabub, you may be asking!

Kate and I recently finished the book "Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin".  At one point in the story the family is having guests and the mother is serving syllabub and cakes and cookies.  I had no idea what it was so I looked it up.  It seemed sort of like a punch made with wine and whipped cream.  I thought surely there is a non-alcoholic version, so I looked and yes there were recipes.  Thank you Google!  Now to find a way to make it without real cream.  {I know.  I hate saying those words}  Thank you God for coconut milk.  Seriously!  There are so many foods that Kate can have because someone thought to substitute coconut milk for real milk.  Almond milk is okay, but if you need fat and creamy, coconut milk in a can is your friend!  So because I know all my friends are dying to make a non-alcoholic, non-dairy, refined sugar free syllabub, here you go!

1/4 c. sparkling white grape juice or sparkling apple juice
1 orange's juice
2 lemon's juice
sweetener to taste

1 14 oz. can coconut cream (trader joe's) or full fat coconut milk (thai kitchen)--I used the coconut cream
1/2 t. vanilla extract
sweetener to taste


Basically what I did was combine the non-alcoholic recipe from Epicurius.com and the non-dairy whip cream recipe from www.minimalistbaker.com. then took out the sugar and replaced with some stevia.  The sparkling grape juice is sweet and so all the sugar is really not necessary.

The whipped coconut milk is a little tricky.  We first did it in the mixer and it was not smooth at all.  So we transferred to the Bullet blender and that was better.

So this was a fun little recipe to try, but I'll be honest.  We didn't love it.  We used the coconut cream from Trader Joe's and I think I would like to try it with the regular coconut milk and I think since I reduced the sugar, I would also just use one lemon. One more thing I would recommend is to taste the juice combo and the whipped coconut cream separately and then adding the cream to individual glasses instead of combining the whole thing.

Let me know if you try it.  It really was a fun recipe for Kate to help with.  Callie reminded me that syllabub is also in the Felicity books so it's perfect for a historical type "tea time".  Of course you have to invite at least one stuffed animal and read the Gettysburg Address. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment