Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Reading Pleasures




I have three books that I read this summer that are some of my all time favorite books so far. 

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, Cry The Beloved Country by Alan Paton, and Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

I already talked a bit the first one here and I really did love it, but the last two I just think everyone should read!

Both of these books have been in our home for years.  The movie of Cry the Beloved Country is one of Cameron's favorites so I've seen it a couple of times and almost anyone who has been involved in Christianity for any length of time has probably heard of C.S. Lewis' book even if they haven't read it.  There was no particular reason that I decided to read these books this year, but in hind sight, I believe it was providential!

Cry the Beloved Country is one of those books that is really quite sad as far as the main events that are taking place.  In fact, at one point, I did have to set it aside for a few days.  It was really heavy.  However, it is so beautifully written and in this case so timely to what has been in the news this summer, that there was no way I could not finish it.  I not only finished it, I loved it.  In the movie, the main character is played by James Earl Jones.  His voice alone is enough to love him!  So all through the book that's who I pictured and heard in my head.  I don't even remember the other actors from the movie, so it wasn't distracting, just him. 

This story takes place in South Africa.  Mostly in Johannesburg, but also in a rural village.Young people are leaving the village and going to Johannesburg for jobs and "a more promising future", but  Johannesburg is a place of much racial tension and most of the young people from the village aren't finding a better life at all but being swallowed up in poverty and often crime.  As is usually the case, there are those who want to help and those that just want all of the "natives" to go back where they came from. 

Here is the passage that struck me the most and that just made me shudder with the truth of it. 

Yes, that is right about power, he said.  But there is only one thing that has power completely, and that is love.  Because when a man loves he seeks no power, and therefore he has power.  I see only one hope for our country, and that is when white men and black men, desiring neither power nor money, but desiring only the good of their country, come together to work for it.  He was grave and silent, and then he said sombrely, I have one great fear in my heart, that one day when they are turned to loving, they will find we are turned to hating.

This was just one among many passages that I highlighted.  The only downside to this book?  It is written without quotation marks.  Sometimes that caused me to have to go back and double check who was speaking, but only a few times.  Otherwise, it was just the best book.  Also, it does have a happy ending.  It's somewhat bitter sweet because of what has already happened, but it was definitely a good ending!!

Ok, Mere Christianity.  This book was just so helpful and plainly written.  Especially after the first chapter or two.  Those two did take a little more thinking to get through, but the way he explains some of the common questions, criticisms and misunderstandings about Christianity are just so good!  I kept thinking, Wow!  I never thought of it like that!  And I've been a Christian practically my whole life.  It was so timely because of some of the questions that Callie was asking at the time and so she is reading it now too.  Sometimes I know what I believe and why, but I have a hard time articulating that to others.  The chapters are very short, it's not hard to get through at all.  I found it very helpful and sometimes even funny.  C.S. Lewis was a very clever and witty writer I'm finding out.  Now I'm in the middle of The Screwtape Letters and am enjoying it very much. 

You will not be disappointed if you try these two books!  {I feel like the kids at the end on Reading Rainbow}

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment