Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Yarn Along

photo by Callie


I finally finished Callie's beret.  She loves it!  Kate has asked for one too, but I would like some hand warmers for myself, so she will have to wait.  Except for my first hat, I haven't made anything for myself, so I told her she had to wait her turn since she had two hats and two sweaters.  I'm just thrilled that they like the things I make and want more.  I'm also thrilled to have something to work on while at ballet and 4H meetings.  Those times and in the car are the main times that I knit and it's nice to have something to do.  I'm not too good at reading at those times.  I can't seem to focus when there are a lot of other things going on.

I am still reading As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis Devoto.

Callie and I have been reading Gentle Ben by Walt Morey.  I had never heard of this book, but it was recommended by Ambleside so I thought we would try it.  This would be a classic example of not judging a book by it's cover.  I really wasn't sure if this would be a good fit for Callie, but we both love it.  It is very well written and I have really enjoyed it.  It would be a great book for learning about Alaska.  It is definitely worth getting and reading for boys or girls.

6 comments:

  1. I always keep some knitting in my purse - usually something small like a sock or a glove - for when we're in the car and I'm not the one driving. It's amazing how much you can get done in those small bits of time here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute beret! Good for you for prioritizing a project for you! I, too, am terrible about making for others and never for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beret is perfect! You did an excellent job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Gentle Ben. Not well, but I remember at least the title. About a bear. Very sweet beret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents knew a woman who used to sit and knit in church (and she was the pastor's wife!), and sometimes I'm tempted to try it, too. I'll crochet anywhere I can get away with it, really.
    JNCL
    The Beauty of Eclecticism

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beret is lovely - such pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete