Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mothering




A few weeks ago a friend on Facebook posted a link to an article, How to Ruin Your Relationship With Your Teenager.  {Go read it!  It's really good}  I clicked on the link to read it and the first sentence hit me like a ton of bricks!  Not to mention the rest of the article.  I think there were only two items in the list of 13 that I was not guilty of!  But the first one struck me the most.  My teenager really does know our opinions on everything by now.  Cameron and I don't need to go on and on and on anymore about our world view and our opinions on clothing and music, etc.  She's heard it all a thousand times.  It's high time we trust in The One who created her, to complete the good work He has started. 

Then last week, I saw this post, On Mothering Teens, Jesus Example and Sonic Splurges and thought it was really great too. {Go read this one too!}

I'm thankful for women who write these things because it's not like when the kids were little and you could talk to your mom friends about all the issues your preschooler had or ask advice about what to do with the stubborn toddler.  As Callie gets older I feel myself panicking about how much time I have left with her and like I have to cram in all this teaching as fast as I can.  I think some parents transition from parenting younger kids to parenting older kids better than others.  I know I'm very guilty of trying to just freeze time and wishing for the "old days", but my good friend whose son is the same age as Callie is not like that.  She's not mourning those younger years at all.  I know I shouldn't be either and I'm really working on being thankful for the here and now. 

I have no advice or insight to offer.  I'm sharing these links here in case they may be helpful to someone else and so that I can come back and remind myself to take a deep breath and enjoy my beautiful, smart, funny and sweet daughter!  Even on the days that are hard.

 

 




 



2 comments: